May 6, 2020
Dear Boston IVF Patients,
As the Coronavirus and its impact continues to evolve, Boston IVF remains focused on the health and safety of our patients, employees, and community.
During this time, we encourage you to visit this page for the latest information regarding the steps we are taking to best serve our patients.
Let us share a quick update on the current situation.
IVF TREATMENT EXPECTED TO RESUME SOON
As one of the only licensed ambulatory fertility centers in New England, Boston IVF is held to the highest level of patient care and safety. It is a designation we take seriously, in an effort to preserve the health and well-being of our patients, employees, and community.
In turn, we respect the Department of Public Health’s decision to cease certain IVF procedures at licensed ambulatory surgical centers until it is deemed safe. We have been in constant communication with the Department and expect to hear very shortly that we can resume full-service IVF procedures (egg retrievals & surgeries) at our fertility center in Waltham, MA.
- IVF in Massachusetts is expected to resume at the end of May/early June (pending state approval)
- IVF in Maine is expected to resume in June (new update coming soon)
- Our brand new IVF center in New Hampshire is undergoing construction and scheduled to open in August, 2020. We expect no delay in IVF treatments beginning on time.
BOSTON IVF REMAINS OPEN
Boston IVF is open during this unprecedented crisis and our doctors, nurses, and staff will continue to provide care to our patients. We continue to treat existing patients and continue to accept new patients.
All services have been temporarily consolidated and centralized to our Waltham, MA fertility center ONLY (Monday-Friday and closed on weekends). All other Massachusetts and New England-based offices have been temporarily closed. However, we are now taking steps to begin re-opening these locations. Please continue to check back for updates.
We take the health of our patients and employees seriously. ALL patients, staff and visitors in Waltham must wear a simple cloth face covering or personal mask to enter our center. Please understand this policy is for your own protection, as well as the protection of your fellow patients and our staff. If you do not have access to a face covering or mask, please visit the CDC website for a demonstration on how to make a face covering.
WHAT SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE IN WALTHAM?
Boston IVF has instituted stringent protocols to allow the resumption of certain treatments.
If you were planning any of the treatments below, please contact the office as soon as possible to set up a telemedicine consultation with your doctor.
Boston IVF currently offers patients the option to start up for the following treatments:
- Frozen embryo transfers
- Monitored IUI cycles only
- Donor insemination treatments
In addition, we continue to offer:
Diagnostic testing: (ultrasound, hysterosalpingogram, saline sonogram, endometrial biopsy, blood testing, semen analysis and sperm freezing)
Please note, there is a strong possibility that your cycle will not be able to be started with your next period and could be delayed up to 4 weeks due to insurance company staffing issues, longer insurance approval wait times, and the required time to prepare for the actual procedure.
WHAT TO DO WHILE YOU WAIT FOR TREATMENTS TO RESUME?
Please do not hesitate to arrange any diagnostic testing that your doctor has ordered. Please call our office in Waltham to speak to our nursing team or administrative team if you have any questions.
Your doctor is available for a video or phone consult. These are covered by insurance companies, and if not, we will not charge you. Your doctor would like to speak with you if you have any questions or concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact our center at 888-300-2483.
NOW OFFERING PHONE & VIDEO CONFERENCING
As mentioned, we now offer the use of telemedicine (phone or video conferencing) in lieu of an in-person visit. This is available to anyone who wishes to schedule a consultation or new patient appointment. All of the information and ancillary material that you would have received in person will be provided to you at the time of this visit electronically – and an evaluation and management plan will be developed.
Please note – all commercial insurers are required to cover medically necessary telehealth services in the same manner they cover in-person services. We also have financial counselors available to answer any financial/insurance questions you may have.
SCREENING AT BOSTON IVF
Please be reassured that Boston IVF performs daily, in-person screenings at the front entryway to each of our employees.
For patients, we continue with a robust 2-part screening protocol:
- Phone screening at the time booking/confirming appointments
- In-person screening at front entryway.
Please contact our center prior to any appointment at 888-300-2483 if you answer YES to any of the following questions:
1) Have you been diagnosed, tested or placed in quarantine for COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
2) Within the last 14 days have you (or your partner) had Close Contact* with a confirmed or suspected [is being tested] case of COVID-19?
3) Do you (or your partner) have a fever or cough, shortness of breath, loss of smell, sore throat, or muscle aches?
* Close contact is defined as:
A) being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of a COVID-19 case for a prolonged period of time; close contact can occur while caring for, living with, visiting, or sharing a healthcare waiting area or room with a COVID-19 case
– or –
B) having direct contact with infectious secretions of a COVID-19 case (e.g., being coughed on)
VISITORS ACCOMPANYING PATIENTS
To minimize risks to all patients and staff, all in-person diagnostic and monitoring appointments, including ultrasound and phlebotomy visits, and any procedures (endometrial biopsy, inseminations, embryo transfers) are limited to the patient only. Partners will be allowed on the day of an egg retrieval (when these procedures resume in the future).
- Children, family members and friends will not be permitted to enter the building.
Our Meticulous Safety Policy
The health and safety of our patients, team members, and community is our top priority.
Please be reassured that Boston IVF continues to exceed CDC guidelines during COVID-19 via the following robust protocols at our Waltham, MA fertility center:
- Each day, we perform daily, in-person screenings at our front entryway to all patients and employees
- Each of our waiting rooms have been redesigned to provide ample social distancing – and include new max-capacity guidelines
- All door handles, bathrooms, chairs, and high-touch surfaces are frequently disinfected
- All procedure and exam rooms continue to function under the strictest of sterile environments
- All patients and staff are required to wear a mask or simple cloth face covering at all times
- All in-person diagnostic and monitoring appointments, including U/S and blood visits + any procedures (endometrial biopsy, inseminations, embryo transfers) are limited to the patient only
- Significant others, children, family members, and friends are not permitted to enter the building
words of encouragement
So many of us at Boston IVF have been through infertility ourselves and can relate to the emotional rollercoaster that is infertility, taking the first steps to treatment, the injections, medications, cycling – and all the sensitivities and stresses involved (all added to the uncertainty of COVID-19).
We are with you – and look forward to resuming treatments very soon.
Be smart about prevention. Use the advised precautions from authorities. Life will return to normal in time and we will get you back on the path to treatment quickly. We will be ready when you are. Our community, long known for its toughness and resiliency – will overcome this.